Process & Guidelines
In planning for a regular return for the 2021/2022 school year, there have been many questions, particularly around the process for PAC events and PAC initiated after school programs, and accompanying Supervision, Liability and Fees related to all such programs.
To provide some clarity, Facilities & Planning has created the attached flowchart to guide both schools and PACs in planning for the upcoming year. In addition, some guidelines have been established to clarify custodial requirements for all types of events.
A School Sponsored Program or Event:
- Is supervised by an SD44 employee, who is the district representative on site for the duration of the event
- Falls under SD44 Liability Insurance
- Examples- school sports teams, school clubs sponsored by SD44 employee, school community events organized by the school (Meet the teacher night, Spring Concert)
A District Rental is:
- Any use
other than directly school sponsored programs or events, even
if approved to occur during school use times (before 530pm)
- Organized and supervised by a PAC or other 3rd party
who must have a rental agreement in place with the district. This
ensures that the space is blocked and appropriate supervision and
liability measures are in place.
- Subject to room/ field fees and cleaning fees as determined by the district
- Subject to the terms and conditions of SD44 for rental groups (available here) including proof of liability insurance
- Rentals are for space only, not equipment unless approved by the school
- Examples: After
school programs not run directly by the school, PAC social and
fundraising activities (ice cream social, grade 7 car wash, PAC movie
night), community uses
about fees and liability: If it is a PAC run event for the purposes of
serving the whole school community, AND there is an SD44 employee who is
the district representative on site for the entire duration
of the event, the event falls under SD44 liability and is exempt from
facility fees. (examples would be—ice cream social, family bingo night).
- Spaces are to be left in the condition in which they were found
Rentals will determine if custodial services are required based on the
usage for all events (internal or external)- see more detailed
information in the flowchart
If there are any questions at all or you are unsure of where an event fits in, how to book it, and what the requirements are, please don’t hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.