North Vancouver School District
the natural place to learn©
PAC Events & Programs

​​​​​​​​​Process & Guidelines

To guide both schools and PACs in planning for PAC events and PAC initiated after school programs, and answer questions related to Supervision, Liability, Fees and Custodial Requirements related to all such programs, the Facilities and Planning department has created the following flowcharts (also found at the bottom of this page):

In addition, for PAC initiated lunch or after school programs, please use the process and template provided on the Lunch & After School Programs Form. Note that this process applies to ALL programs operating on school property, both indoors and outdoors.​ Rental rates for after school programs is based on our published rate schedule​​.

In summary

A School Sponsored Program or Event: 

  • Is supervised by an SD44 employee, who is the district representative on site for the duration of the event
  • Falls under SD44 Liability Insurance
  • Examples- school sports teams, school clubs sponsored by SD44 employee, school community events organized by the school (Meet the teacher night, Spring Concert)

A District Rental is:

  • Any use other than directly school sponsored programs or events, even if approved to occur during school use times (before 530pm)
  • Organized and supervised by a PAC or other 3rd party who must have a rental agreement in place with the district. This ensures that the space is blocked and appropriate supervision and liability measures are in place.
  • Subject to room/ field fees and cleaning fees as determined by the district
  • Subject to the terms and conditions of SD44 for rental groups (available here) including proof of liability insurance
  • Rentals are for space only, not equipment unless approved by the school
  • Examples: After school programs not run directly by the school, PAC social and fundraising activities (ice cream social, grade 7 car wash, PAC movie night), community uses
  • Note about fees and liability: If it is a PAC run event for the purposes of serving the whole school community, AND there is an SD44 employee who is the district representative on site for the entire duration of the event, the event falls under SD44 liability and is exempt from facility fees. (examples would be—ice cream social, family bingo night)

Custodial Requirements:

  • Spaces are to be left in the condition in which they were found
  • District Rentals will determine if custodial services are required based on the usage for all events (internal or external). As per Board Policy, custodial services must be scheduled for cleanup purposes if:
    • Food and beverages are part of the event
    • The event draws a significant number of participants or spectators
    • The event can be reasonably expected to require housekeeping/custodial tasks
    • Custodial services are scheduled by the principal for such school events, or if other costs are incurred, the cost of such services shall be a charge against the sponsors of the activity in the schools.
  • See more detailed information in the flowchart Custodial Requirements

Alcoholic Beverages:

​Groups that wish to serve and consume alcohol must ensure that:

  • The group submitting the request shall comply with the laws of British Columbia 
  • An appropriate liquor licence is obtained 
  • Liquor will not be consumed out-of-doors 
  • Adequate planning for the control of the function has been undertaken 
  • Appropriate insurance coverage has been obtained

Groups must first obtain a facility contract from the Rentals Department prior to seeking permission for alcohol service. Please refer to the detailed Special Occasion Liquor Licence.

Alcoholic Beverages at School Sponsored and Supervised Events:

For school functions, there shall be no alcoholic beverages brought to or consumed in the buildings without the prior approval of the Secretary Treasurer. A school administrator must be present for school sponsored activities at which alcoholic beverages will be served. Please refer to the detailed Special Occasion Liquor Licence.​

The City and District of North Vancouver would like to remind schools that you must ensure school events that include food trucks/carts have a valid business license from the municipality the event is operating in. 


​If there are any questions at all or you are unsure of where an event fits in, how to book it, and what requirements are needed, please reach out to


Custodial Requirements June 2022 R1.jpg