The Board will strive to maintain and operate its facilities and services in a sustainable manner, and seek opportunities in its short- and long-term planning to reduce its environmental footprint. The Board is committed to working in ways that do not jeopardize current and future social, environmental, and economic resources. It will integrate economic, environmental, and social considerations into its decision-making.
The Board recognizes that a sustainable approach to its services and operations is essential to fulfilling its mandate of preparing students for responsible citizenship and success in life. The Board values the contributions of students, staff, parents, and the community to reduce the environmental impacts of our learning communities. In collaboration with local, provincial, regional, and global communities, the Board will provide leadership in environmental education and sustainability practices.
This policy is built upon four pillars of sustainability:
- Support environmental education and sustainability initiatives
- Decrease dependencies upon the earth’s finite resources
- Reduce waste and harmful emissions into the environment
- Respect green space through responsible stewardship.
In practice, the Board will:
Support environmental education and sustainability initiatives, and
- Encourage staff towards professional development that expands their understanding and capacity to teach sustainability principles and practices
- Support sustainability leadership to:
- Build capacity amongst students, staff, and parents as responsible contributors to their own environmentally-sustainable future
- Identify and implement effective sustainability initiatives and solutions
- Foster and celebrate successful sustainability initiatives within the School District
- Recognize and promote successful sustainability initiatives by students, staff and parents
- Support development of the Environmental Learning Centre (ELC) and associated educational programs
- Consider community partnerships that will assist the School District in achieving its sustainability goals.
Decrease dependencies upon the earth’s finite resources, and:
- Develop and maintain a current, School District-wide Sustainability Plan that is progressive, transparent, and measurable
- Embed its commitment to sustainability in the Board’s Strategic Plan
- Balance and broaden its decision-making to include considerations of ecological, economic and social well-being
- Consult with internal and external advisors for necessary guidance and consideration of sustainability issues
- Pursue solutions for sustainability challenges in partnership with its communities and governments.
Reduce waste and harmful emissions into the environment, and:
- Develop and operate its facilities and services in a sustainable manner
- Encourage sustainable initiatives that realize both cost-savings and reduce environmental impact
- Implement all legislative requirements to promote sustainability.
Respect green space through responsible stewardship, and:
- Evaluate existing and future green spaces on School District property to ensure due diligence and full consideration in land space decision-making
- Support the maintenance of healthy and diverse green spaces where the Board has a presence
- Support development of the Environmental Learning Centre (ELC) and associated lands
- Collaborate with local municipalities to create an integrated perspective on future community green spaces.
Policy 205: Outdoor School
Policy 806: Outdoor Learning Spaces