Current Grade 10 students are invited to apply to the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, a North Vancouver School District Enhanced Program option, offered at Carson Graham Secondary School.
WHAT IS THE IB? The IB Diploma Programme is a rigorous two-year, university preparatory curriculum that leads to a qualification that is widely recognized by the world's leading universities. Student learning extends beyond a body of knowledge. The DP prepares the students for university and encourages them to
- think critically and ask challenging questions
- learn how to learn, through ATL skill-development in thinking, research, communication, social and self-management
- develop a strong sense of their own identity and culture, and
- develop the ability to communicate with and understand perspectives of people from other countries and cultures.
curriculum contains six subject groups together with a common core:
Theory of Knowledge (TOK), the Extended Essay (EE) and Creativity,
Activity, Service (CAS). Both curricular and core aspects of the DP
value the world as the broadest context for learning and promote the
development of international-mindedness.
DP Courses offered at Carson Graham:
1 – Language & Literature
2 – French, Spanish ab initio
3 – Geography, History
4 – Biology, Chemistry, Physics,
5 – Math, Math Studies
6 – Visual Arts
- Diploma candidates study six subjects selected from each of the subject groups.
- three courses at the Higher Level (HL) (240 teaching hours)
- three courses at the Standard Level (SL) (150 teaching hours)
- Students must complete the core requirements
- engage in critical thinking about knowledge in Theory of Knowledge (TOK)
- demonstrate learning outcomes associated with Creativity Activity and Service (CAS)
- write an Extended Essay (EE) of 4000 words in an area of interest
- Throughout the curriculum, global perspectives and international-mindedness guide the approaches to teaching and learning within the IB Diploma Programme.
Would you like to learn more?
We are pleased to be presenting at the District Enhanced Programs Evening:
District Enhanced Programs Evening
Thursday, January 23, 2019
Sutherland Secondary School
1860 Sutherland Avenue
We are also pleased to host an IB Diploma Programme Information Evening for interested Grade 10 students and their parents/guardians:
IB Diploma Programme
Thursday, January 24, 2019
Carson Graham Secondary School
2145 Jones Avenue
Your application is a two-part process:
Part 1. Application Package – due February 8th, 2019
Part 2. Admission Interview Session - each local student is asked to attend one of the admission interview sessions.
Admission Interview Sessions
As a part of the application process, students are asked to register for one of the following two interview sessions held at Carson Graham Secondary School:
Monday, February 25, 3:45-5:30pm
Tuesday, February 26, 3:45-5:30pm
Please register for one of the sessions via email to Liz Thornhill, IB Coordinator, email@example.com. If you have a conflict with both session dates, please contact the email address noted above to make an alternative arrangement.
Would you like to learn even more?
Interested Grade 10 students can spend a day in our Diploma Programme classrooms!
DP for a Day
Januray 31 & February 1, 2019
8:35 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
To register, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are ideal IB DP candidates?
Ideal IB DP students are students who:
- Want to be in the programme
- Engaged academically and are high achieving but motivated by more than just grades
- Self-motivated and hard working
- Organized and manage time skillfully
- Able to manage stress and show resilience
- Willing to challenge themselves and their ideas
- Willing to trust the process and show humility to the learning
- Able to present ideas and express themselves clearly
- Think critically (or have the potential to do so)
- Balance academics with life outside of school
February 8, 2019