October 18, 2022
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Halloween is a time of celebration for many in our community. Each year, we look forward to seeing students enjoy various Halloween activities.
The North Vancouver School District honours the diversity within our community. We want to ensure our teaching and learning environments are places where students and staff feel safe, included, respected and valued. We therefore expect everyone to be thoughtful and respectful at all times.
In preparation for a safe and fun Halloween for all, please be aware of the following and speak with your child as appropriate:
- If costumes are permitted at your child' school, they should allow for students to be easily recognizable and/or to be able to identify themselves to any staff member when asked.
- Costumes that are in poor taste (e.g., hypersexualized, culturally insensitive) or offensive in any way will not be allowed. Please consider the rights maintained in the Canadian Human Rights Act when selecting costumes (e.g., race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, family status, disability, etc.).
- School codes of conduct must always be followed. This includes maintaining respectful and appropriate behaviour with others and with school property. Vandalism is a crime.
- Replica weapons (e.g., guns, knives, etc.) are not allowed.
- The possession and use of firecrackers or fireworks at school is strictly prohibited. Please visit the City of North Vancouver and District of North Vancouver websites for information on municipal fireworks regulations.
Thank you for ensuring Halloween continues to be a fun and safe celebration for our community.
Dr. Pius Ryan
Superintendent of Schools