The 2nd Outdoor Safety & Emergency Preparedness Open House held on Saturday, May 13, at Argyle Secondary was a tremendous success!
The sunny (and hot) day, which coincided with the last day of Emergency Preparedness Week, was filled with smiles, excitement, fun and many opportunities to learn about recreating safely in the backcountry and tips for emergency preparedness.
Children of all ages (yes, young and old!) enjoyed climbing into City Fire’s new aerial ladder truck or one of North Shore Rescue’s skidoos, which sat atop a small mound of snow; cooling down at District Fire’s misting station, and of course acting as pilot or hoist operator in the new Talon Helicopter, which was debuted at the Open House.
Volunteers, first responders and experts in emergency management and preparedness enthusiastically welcomed attendees, whether at their booths or during one of the three workshops.
In addition, guests enjoyed a variety of food truck fare, including a very popular ice cream cart.
A community event of this size could not be possible without the support from school district staff, partner groups and community organizations. The school district extends its gratitude to individuals, municipal bodies, organizations and businesses who supported this year’s family-friendly, community event:
- Partners in emergency management and preparedness
- Argyle Secondary School administration, students and staff, and in particular:
- Students from Leadership 11 and Outdoor Education 11/12
- Teachers Sean Soper, Bryan Lockless and Ryan Duffy
- Argyle Family of Schools and Parent Advisory Councils
- Argyle / Lynn Valley residents
- Carson Graham Secondary Student First Responders
- District of North Vancouver
- City of North Vancouver
- North Vancouver Recreation and Culture Commission
- Talon Helicopters
- North Shore News (media sponsor)
- SR Media
- COBS Bread (Capilano Mall)
- Delany's Coffee House (Lynn Valley Village)
- St. Clements Church
- Lynn Valley Community Recreation Centre
- NVSD Facilities and Maintenance
- NVSD Information & Communication Technology
For information about the event, please visit the event website or contact the event organizers at email@example.com. We hope to see you next year!