ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
HANDSWORTH SECONDARY SCHOOL
GLOBAL COMPUTER NETWORK CONDITIONS, RULES AND ACCEPTABLE USE AGREEMENT
Educational opportunities provided by the Internet:
Handsworth Secondary School and the North Vancouver School Board have actively pursued making advanced technology and increased access to learning opportunities available to our students and staff. The Internet is part of the information super-highway. We believe this computer technology will enhance educational opportunities by allowing students and staff to access and use information sources from distant computers, communicate and share information with individuals or groups of other students and staff, therefore, significantly expanding their knowledge base.
Proper and Ethical Use:
Students and staff must understand and practice proper and ethical use of this new technology. This document makes clear the conditions, rules, and acceptable uses when students and staff use District provided Internet access.
CONDITIONS AND RULES FOR USE:
1. Acceptable Use
· Handsworth Secondary School provides access to the Internet for educational and research purposes and provide opportunities for collaborative work in furtherance of those purposes. To remain eligible as a user, access must be in support of and consistent with the educational objectives of the District and Handsworth Secondary School.
· Transmission, printing, communication or publication of any information or material in violation of any Court Order, or any federal, provincial, municipal, common or other law including, without limitation, any law relating to copyright, trademarks, trade secrets, government security, obstruction, obscenity, threats, defamation, harassment, privacy, conspiracy, promotion of hatred, of discrimination, is prohibited.
· School or District use of the Internet for commercial activities is not acceptable. Use for product/service advertisement or political lobbying is also prohibited. School or District provided e-mail accounts must not be used to send chain letters or to harass other users with unwanted e-mail messages.
· E-mail accounts shall be used only by the authorized owner of the account. Account holders are responsible for all activity within their accounts.
The use of Internet, computers and software at Handsworth is a privilege, not a right. Inappropriate use, including any violation of these conditions and rules may result in cancellation of the privilege. Moreover, violations of conditions and rules within courses will result in removal from the course. Handsworth Secondary School, under this agreement, is delegated the authority to determine appropriate use and may deny, revoke, suspend, or close any user privileges at any time based upon its determination of in appropriate use of any e-mail account or by an Internet user, without prior notice and without any liability whatsoever to the e-mail account holder or user.
4. Network Etiquette
With respect to e-mail accounts, all users are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette.
These include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Politeness is mandatory. Do not get abusive in your messages to others. Do not criticize the spelling, writing or keyboarding of others.
· Appropriate language is a necessity. Do not swear, use vulgarities, or any other inappropriate or potentially offensive language. Do not engage in activities which are prohibited under Canadian law.
· Confidentiality is extremely important. Do not reveal your personal address, or phone number, or those of other students or colleagues.
· Electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. People who operate the system have access to all mail. Messages related to, or in support of, illegal activities, may be reported to the authorities and may result in the loss of user privileges.
· Disruption of the network is prohibited. Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by other users.
· Communications and information accessible via the network are private property. Do not re-post personal e-mail that you receive to public forums without the permission of the author.
5. No Warranties-User Accepts All Risks and Responsibilities
Handsworth Secondary School and the North Vancouver School Board make no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. Handsworth Secondary School and the North Vancouver School Board, will not be responsible for any damages a user suffers or causes. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at the user's own risk. The user shall indemnify and save Handsworth Secondary School and the North Vancouver School Board harmless from any cost, damage or liability either may suffer as a result of or in any way relating to the user's access to the network. Handsworth Secondary School and the North Vancouver School Board specifically deny any responsibility for:
· The accuracy or quality of information or advice obtained through its services, or any costs or charges incurred as a result of seeing or accepting such advice. All users need to consider the source of any information they obtain, and consider how valid that information may be.
· Costs, liabilities or damages caused by the way the account holder chooses to use his access.
· Consequences, including the loss of data, resulting from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, caused by Handsworth Secondary School and the North Vancouver School Board's negligence, default action, or inaction, or by the user's errors or omissions.
· Maintenance of confidentiality of electronic mail.
· Security on any computer system is a high priority, especially when the system involves many users. Users must never allow the users to use their e-mail password. Users should also protect their password to ensure system security and their own privilege and ability to continue to use the system.
Impersonation of anyone or an attempt to use authorized access to violate security features of Handsworth Secondary School, the North Vancouver School Board, or anyone else on the network, is prohibited. If you feel you can identify a security problem on the Internet, you must notify a system administrator. Do not demonstrate the problem to other users.
· Use of another individual's e-mail account or network privileges is forbidden.
· Attempts to access services as a system administrator may result in cancellation of user privileges.
· Users identified as security risks for having had a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access to Internet by Handsworth Secondary School and the North Vancouver School Board.
7. Vandalism and Harassment
· Vandalism and harassment will result in the cancellation of user privileges and removal from the appropriate course.
(Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm, modify or destroy any data, program or system of another user, or the agencies or other networks that are connected to the Internet. This includes, but is not limited to uploading or creating of computer viruses).
Harassment is defined as the persistent annoyance of another user, or the interference of another user's work. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, the sending of unwanted e-mail).