Work Experience (Elective - OFFERED AT SEYCOVE)
Work Experience 12A (MWEX-2A) 4 credits; 12B (MWEX-2B) 4 credits
Students in grade 10, 11 & 12 enrolled in Work Experience complete 100 hours of coursework that will help guide their career decisions. Students are given assistance in job placement opportunities in the community that are relevant to them and their focus areas. Students further develop their resume and understand the importance of writing cover letters, thank-you letters, work place safety, employability skills, interview skills, and the decision-making process. The 100-hour work experience component of this course may include job shadowing, mentoring, volunteer services, and on-site work experience. Students, employers and supervisors are required to complete a set of work experience forms (before and after placement for each different job/volunteer location). All students must complete the WorkSafety certification prior to heading out on placements. The mandatory 30-hour work experience graduation requirement will also be satisfied through the 100-hour course.
· Beginning in Grade 10, students have the opportunity to experience a wide range of career pathways in the following areas:
· Business & Applied Business (e.g., local businesses, Northern Securities, Royal Bank, Blue Shore Credit Union)
· Fine Arts, Design & Media (e.g., Vancouver Film School, Vancouver Opera, North Shore Outlook, CKNW Radio)
· Fitness & Recreation (e.g., Seymour, Grouse, Cypress Mountains, Local Sports Club, NV Recreation Centre)
· Health & Human Services (e.g., Canuck Place, Children’s Hospital, RCMP Youth Academy, Firefighter Career Day, Lynn Valley Care Centre)
· Liberal Arts & Humanities (e.g., Art Institute Classes, Women in Leadership)
· Science & Applied Science (e.g., BCIT CSI Student Academy, TRIUMF Lectures, Vancouver Aquarium, CFRI, Bamfield Marine Centre, Pharmacy)
· Tourism, Hospitality & Foods (e.g., Dubruille Culinary Arts, Milestones, Browns, Ravens, Cactus Club)
· Trades & Technology (e.g., Great Canadian Landscaping, Women in Trades, Keith Plumbing & Heating, Destination Chrysler Jeep Dodge, Capilano Audi)
· Secondary School Apprenticeship Programs are offered in all secondary schools. They provide a combination of on-the-job training and classroom instruction in partnership with the Industry Training Authority (www.itabc.ca).
Please see Ms. Bramley's Work Experience Blog for more information.