2021/2022 Grade 10 Numeracy and Literacy Assessments
The BC Graduation Program requires all grade 10-12 students to write the following Graduation Assessments:
These assessments are mandatory for graduation. Therefore, students will write their Numeracy 10 and Literacy 10 and 12 Assessments this year at Seycove as listed below:
PROVINCIAL GRADUATION ASSESSMENT SCHEDULE 2021-2022
|November 1 - 5, 2021|
Literacy 12 Assessment - All Grade 12 Students
Literacy 10 Assessment – only for Grade 11's and 12's who have not written
Numeracy 10 Assessment – only for Grade 11's and 12's who have not written
|January 17 - 21, 2022|
Literacy 10 – All Grade 10 Students
|April 25 - 29, 2022|
Numeracy 10 - All Grade 10 Students
|June 13 - 17, 2022|
Re-writes and any Grade 10 - 12 who have not written
The purpose of these assessments is to measure the extent to which
students are literate and numerate and to provide students with information
about their proficiency. Overall, the new provincial graduation assessments require students to apply their numeracy and literacy skills in realistic contexts. Rather than assess specific course curricula, the graduation assessments measure the application of numeracy and literacy skills to realistic situations, requiring students to employ the knowledge and skills considered to be essential for future success. The graduation assessments look at students' ability to apply their knowledge and skills and to analyze, reason, and communicate effectively as they examine, interpret, and solve problems. Graduation assessments also emphasize the importance of the context in which students should be able to use their skills (e.g., home, employment, society) (BC Ministry of Education).
The following policies are associated with the new Graduation Assessments:
- Assessments are required for graduation.
- Assessments are cross-curricular and stand-alone (not tied to a specific course).
- Students are expected to take the Grade 10 Graduation Numeracy Assessment in their Grade 10 year.
- Students are expected to take the Grade 10 Graduation Literacy Assessment in their Grade 10 year.
- Students are expected to take the Grade 12 Graduation Literacy Assessment in their Grade 12 year. This has been postponed to 2021/22.
- Students must complete all 3 assessments (Literacy 10, Numeracy 10, Literacy 12) for graduation. Students have up to three opportunities to write the assessments: an initial write (required) and up to two rewrites (optional).
- Assessments are scored on a proficiency scale.
- The student's best outcome for each of the Provincial Graduation Assessments will be recorded on their final transcript (BC Ministry of Education).
What do I need to know for Assessment day ?
Students must aim to arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of their scheduled exam session.
There is no extra time if students are late. The sessions are scheduled
to start at either 8:30 am or 12:30 pm. The exams are two hours long
with up to an extra hour if needed. Details of the session and venue can be found on the notice board outside the main office.
Ensure that you are familiar with the calculator policy and have the
correct calculator. If in doubt, check with math teachers in our
Student Instructions for prepping for exam day.pdf
What do the Assessments Entail ?
Grade 10 Numeracy Assessment
Numeracy Assessment Q and A.pdf
To try print samples of the assessment:
Please continue to review the school calendar and this page for information (time, location, etc.) with regards to assessment times when they are being administered. The Examination Rules largely follow guidelines established by the Examination Branch of the Ministry of Education. They are in place at Seycove to maintain the integrity of exam results and the validity of the exam process.
The Ministry of Education provides online access to student data through its student secure website www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/tsw/student/welcome.jsp
Students must create an account which requires their Personal Education Number (PEN) which can be found on their report card.