What is YELL?
The Young Entrepreneurship and Leadership Launchpad (YELL) is offered at Sutherland Secondary School and Handsworth Secondary School. YELL is great for Grade 11 or Grade 12 students with an interest in business or who have an entrepreneurial spirit.
YELL provides youth with practical tools and experiences they need to succeed in the real world. Students earn four course credits toward graduation while working with teachers, as well as business and community leaders, to design a student-led business.
The course connects students with some of the top entrepreneurial talent in the Lower Mainland, and students will pitch their business idea at a Venture Challenge in the spring.
How does it work?
The course is split into four modules:
1) Accelerated Learning: The YELL Entrepreneurship 12 program begins with students learning the core concepts of lean entrepreneurship. YELL teachers cover topics including design thinking, resiliency training, marketing, financial projections, the Business Model Canvas, and more! A diverse group of inspiring entrepreneurs and business leaders visit classes throughout the semester to share stories and advice to our budding innovators.
2) Industry Exploration: Local companies and maker labs participate in our YELL program so students can experience the world beyond the classroom and explore different career options. They learn about new technologies, tour unique office spaces, and hear from industry professionals.
3) Business Incubator: YELL students form groups, create a business venture together, identify and test assumptions, pivot businesses if necessary, and ultimately prove and validate their concept. Students learn to problem solve together and communicate effectively with their mentor who acts as their guide and a liaison between the team and the broader entrepreneurship community.
4) Venture Challenge: To wrap up the YELL program, classes across the province come together at the annual Venture Challenge. Student teams compete and present their business venture to a panel of judges made up of community members, entrepreneurs and investors. Think of the Venture Challenge as a “Dragon’s Den” type of experience!
Where is it offered?
YELL is hosted at Sutherland Secondary School and Handsworth Secondary School. The course runs outside of the regular timetable so that students from throughout the district can attend.
The classes meet:
- Sutherland Secondary: Monday evenings at 3:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Handsworth Secondary: Tuesday evenings at 3:30 - 6:30 p.m.
How to apply?
- Please complete the YELL Application (below) and supporting documents as outlined in the application form.
- Applications are accepted between January and March for the following school year.
For more information about YELL please contact
James Nevison at Sutherland Secondary - JNevison@sd44.ca
Sheri Johnson at Handsworth Secondary - SJohnson@sd44.ca