Cross Country News
Welcome to the 2019 Queensbury Cross Country Running Team! We are looking forward to a fun season!
Forms and Uniforms
Cross Country team participants need to return their permission forms by in order to participate in Cross Country. Forms are available in Ms. Kennedy's or Ms. Walter's classroom.
Practices are being held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8:10 am to 8:35 am at the following locations:
- Tuesdays on the school field (October 1, 8, 15 & 22)
- Thursdays, at 19th and Grand Boulevard (October 3, 10 & 17)
On our Thursday morning practices, we will meet the children at 19th and Grand Boulevard. Following practices, we will walk back to Queensbury as a group for the start of school.
Children are expected to attend practices in order to go meets. Once the forms are in, children will receive a uniform to wear at meets. The uniforms are to be returned clean to Ms. Kennedy at the end of the Cross Country season.
All meets go rain or shine so children need to be prepared for the weather. Meets start at 3:40 and are usually finished between 4:30-5:00. CHILDREN MUST SIGN IN AND OUT WITH US. At least one of the teachers will be by the finish line. There can be hundreds of children at a meet and safety is priority for everyone concerned.
The first meet date will be Wednesday, October 9th, at Windsor Secondary School/Windridge Park.
Windsor Secondary School is located at 931 Broadview Drive, North Vancouver. (This is off of Seymour Parkway a few blocks past the Chevron Station. Watch for the signs posted for Windsor School (on the right).
Wednesday, October 16th @ Cates Park, North Vancouver (4141 Dollarton Hwy., North Vancouver, BC)
Wednesday, October 23rd @ Lynn Cannon/Lower Seymour Conservation Area (2369 Lillooet Rd, North Vancouver, BC) Use inter-river park parking lot at the end of Lillooet Road, Lynnmour area.
Important Information for meets:
- The target start time for each race is 3:45 pm. Accommodation may be made for traffic jams, but races will not start any later than 4:00 pm. The meets are over very quickly and should not conflict with other activities.
- Race order: Grades 5, 4, 7, 6
- In each grade - Girls First - Boys Second (ie: Grade 5 girls will start, and then quickly thereafter, the Grade 5 boys will start. Then the Grade 4 girls, and then quickly thereafter, the Grade 4 boys will go.)
- You will receive the race map about a week before each race.
- When you arrive at the race, make sure you have someone to tell the "Check In" that your school has arrived. This helps us decide if everyone has arrived so we can start. The Check In will be in a central spot near the start and finish area near a sign marked "Check In".
- In the starting area, there will be large numbers which represent grades. Have your athletes go to their grade sign and wait until they are called to the Start Line.
Parents will be responsible for organizing transportation to and from the meets. We will meet in the gym before leaving for the meets so we know who is going and how each child is getting to the meet. Once at the meet, students will AGAIN have to check in with us to confirm that they have arrived AND check out when they leave. Please note that this is for your child's safety, as last year we had 500 kids at the meets.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at school.
Many thanks for your support,
Ms. Laurie Kennedy/Ms. Sam Walters