École Boundary Elementary School
Caring for Ourselves, Others & Our Environment
Boundary we approach student behaviour expectations instructionally. Our team believes that school
procedures and expectations must
be taught and practiced. By learning
our procedures students discover how things are done; they are rewarded for following procedures and reminded when they do
not. All students, school staff
and parents benefit
from a shared understanding of our routines at Boundary. This handbook outlines our current
procedures and expectations
for students. It is an active
document that reflects the dynamics of change
at our school. Input
for change occurs
as needed and the
necessary instruction for students will follow. Student safety and support
of our school’s Code of Conduct - Caring for Ourselves, Others & Our
Environment - are important to the
procedures contained in this handbook. Recommendations for changes are welcomed from all stakeholders, but must support our existing Code and be aligned with the expectations for student
behaviour held by the North
Vancouver School District.
What do I do if I am not able to come to school because I am sick or I have an appointment?
Ask your parents or guardians to telephone the school at 604-903-3264. Let us know why you are away and when we can expect you to return. If no telephone call is received
and a student is absent
from school, we get worried!
Our school office
staff will call your parents
or guardians to make sure that you are safe.
What do I do when I arrive at school in the morning?
Dress for the weather and enjoy our wonderful
North Shore. Play outside with your friends
on the play structure,
enjoy our field, or the undercover area. At 8:50am, you may enter the building through your designated door and walk to your classroom. When walking through our hallways, please remember to talk and move quietly,
keeping the doors, office and classroom windows
How are we supposed
to move in the hallways and the stairways at Boundary?
We teach students to view the hallways and the stairways as a roadway, and encourage them to apply their ‘Roadway Safety’. While travelling in the hallways students should:
What do I do if I’m not feeling well or hurt myself?
- walk on the right-hand side of the stairway or hallway;
- maintain a safe walking speed
- walk in single
file if walking as a class, or walk in pairs;
- use an inside voice and walk quietly in the halls; and
- be courteous to others as they travel within our school.
All of the adults at Boundary are here to help kids – you can go to anyone of us for assistance. Specifically:
- Students are encouraged to speak to their teacher for help;
- Speak to a Supervision Aide during recess or lunch; or,
- Go tot the office.
office staff receives children
who may be feeling ill or are hurt at any time throughout the day. The decision
to call home or provide
minor first aid is made on a case-by- case basis.
Are there special rules
for students using the washrooms?
Students are encouraged to use the washrooms during the natural break times
at recess (10:30-10:50am) and lunch (12-12:48pm). Our staff believes
that it is every student’s responsibility to use the washrooms respectfully and safely by:
- washing their hands following every use;
- keeping the washroom clean by using the rubbish containers, flushing
the toilets after
every use and being tidy;
- not using the washrooms as a place for visiting
During class times students are encouraged to follow their classroom’s washroom procedures. While each class
will have its own specific routines,
students are asked to:
Where can I play during recess and lunch?
- get permission for their teacher before
leaving the room;
- visit the washroom
one at a time (often in pairs for our younger students);
- walk quietly to and from the washroom;
- return directly to their classroom
and inform their teacher that they have returned.
Come to school ready
to play outside,
rain or shine!
Wear clothing appropriate
to the weather; you may want to leave a spare change
of clothes, including a rain poncho
and boots, in your classroom just in case. During recess and lunch students
must play within
the school grounds so that our supervision staff can help keep kids safe. Students may play:
- in the ‘under
- on the blacktop
area on the west side of the school;
- in the woods and pathways to the west and north of the soccer field, unless there has been an announcement
- on the all-weather playing field and adventure playgrounds;
- on the grassy area and picnic tables at the front of the school. We encourage all students to play safely when outside.
Are there areas at Boundary where
students cannot play during recess
Plan to play outside everyday:
- Students are asked
to respect the Kindergarten class during break times by not playing directly
in their area of the playground. Please follow the instructions of our
supervision aides in this regard.
- Students are encouraged to play away from the doorways and the foyer at the front of the school.
- The parking lots and roadway/sidewalk in front of the school are not play areas.
To ensure student
safety, children are not to be in these areas at any time during the day or afterschool.
- Except when under staff supervision, the pathway
on the east side of the building
is out of bounds, as is the sidewalk in front of the classrooms by the parking lot.
When and where do I eat my lunch at school?
Students are dismissed at noon for “Play First” lunch.
- Students will go outside to play from 12-12:35pm.
- When the bell sounds
at 12:35pm, students
return to their classrooms and eat their lunches. Our afternoon classes begin at 12:51pm.
- Students who go home for lunch must have parent permission.
They need to sign out and back in at the office to ensure their safety.
Students who regularly eat lunch at home are asked to complete and submit a
form for this purpose available at the office.
What are the expectations when I eat my lunch?
Students must wash their
hands before eating.
Please do not share food or drinks with others:
- Stay in your classroom
- Sit quietly at your own seat.
- Clean up your wrappings and leftovers, and wipe up any spills.
Be sure to check the floor around your desk for garbage.
Have a wonderful school year!