WHEN SHOULD I KEEP MY SICK CHILD
AWAY FROM SCHOOL?
Vancouver Coastal Health would like you to
consider the following before sending a sick child to school:
- If a child is sick, they need to rest or their
recovery could be delayed.
- The ability of your child to function and learn
- The prevention of the spread of illness to
other children and families or to school staff.
- The inability of the school to look after your
Please keep your child home if
- Have symptoms such as persistent cough,
constant runny nose, vomiting or diarrhea. If these symptoms do
not clear up within a reasonable time, please see your family
- Has a suspected or known communicable disease
(ie. Pink eye, Mumps, measles, rubella, chicken pox, whooping cough,
- Has a fever.
- Is too sick to participate in all
normal school activities.
Keep them home until they are no longer
infectious. Infectious periods vary with the disease.
For more information:
Contact Public Health at
604.983.6700 or your family doctor if you have questions.
Should the school find it necessary to send your
child home because of illness, please ensure you have made alternate
arrangements if you are not available. Please inform your school of these