Planning for 2021-2022
At this stage in our planning, we anticipate a Kindergarten to Grade Seven enrollment of approximately 425 students. Based on this projection, staffing entitlement will be received from the school district. Once this information is confirmed, the following decisions are made:
- the number of divisions at each grade level
- the number of students in each class
- where classes will be combined (4/5, 6/7, etc.)
- the amount of time provided to other disciplines in the school such as Music
- what grade levels teachers will request to teach
Student placement is a very complex process that we take very seriously. We take a collaborative approach when planning for student placement with all stakeholders (parents, students, staff) having a voice in the process.
- Parent Feedback (optional): parents can complete either: Parental Information for Student Placement (fillable form) OR Parental Information for Student Placement (paper form) and return electronically by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 28, 2021. Administration will not accept parent requests after that date, including September 2021. Please note that no information sheets will be accepted if names of staff members are used in outlining your requests/concerns.
- Teacher/Specialists: our school staff and specialists (such as counsellor, administration, Learning Assistance Teachers, etc) review student placements several times up until the opening day of the 2021-2022 school year.
In addition to individual circumstances, criteria considered in the placement process include:
- Workable instructional groups considering:
- the child's academic needs and strengths
- teaching and learning styles
- the child's work habits
- Positive social groups considering:
- placements where a child can work positively and productively with other children in the class
- peer support or conflicts
- establishing the presence of positive leaders in each class
- ratio of grades in split classes
- Balanced classes considering:
- gender (male/female)
- students with Special Needs
- students who are English Language Learners
- academic, social, and emotional needs and abilities
- leadership abilities
- Other Information considered:
- the past history of students in combined or single grade classes
- school-based resource team recommendations
The class placement process ensures thoughtful consideration of each child's social, emotional, and academic needs is aligned with the need to create balanced and effective learning environments. The assignment of students to classes is decided by a team, which includes the child's current teacher, possible teachers for the coming year, specialists such as the English Language Learner Teacher, Learning Assistance Teacher, School Counsellor, and the School Administration. This professional team considers each placement carefully as they create classes that include a wide range of students who learn in a variety of ways.
A Note about Combined Classes
Combined class organizations result from imbalances in the number of students in particular grade levels. Class size limits are set by the Ministry of Education. In today's reality that often means that the school organization needs to include some combined classes. For example, we might have 41 Grade One students, but the class size limit is 22; we would need to create a Grade One class and a Grade One/Two class with the remainder of the Grade One students and some Grade Two students. Depending on the number of students at each grade level, using all of the criteria above may well result in the creation of some combined classes. Many areas of the student's growth are considered in a student's placement such as: social skill development, physical size, independence in work habits, leadership potential, personal initiative, and organizational skills. Consideration is also given to previous placement in a combined class. Please rest assured that if your child is placed in a combined class, the grade appropriate curriculum that is prescribed by the Ministry of Education will be taught. For more information on combined classes, please refer to An Introduction to Combined Classes.pdf.
If there is information that the current classroom teacher and/or the principal does not have and should consider when placing your child, please complete either Parental Information for Student Placement (fillable form) OR Parental Information for Student Placement (paper form)
and submit electronically to email email@example.com no later than May 28, 2021. Information sheets received after May 28th will not be considered for student placement for the 2021–2022 school year.
Please consider the placement criteria referenced above when describing your child's needs. Please describe a learning environment that may suit your child's learning style/needs (academic, social, emotional). If you are requesting placements that involve other students (one or two at most), please think carefully before making your request and provide an explanation for that request. The information that you provide in your information sheet will be given to the team of professionals described above, to be used along with the criteria listed above in the placement of your child. Please note that it may not be possible to meet all requests as classes are determined.
Please note that no information sheets will be accepted if names of staff members are used in outlining your requests/concerns. These information sheets will be returned to the sender with a reminder of the placement criteria outlined above. Our goal is to meet the needs of all students at Braemar in order to maximize their growth as learners. We appreciate your support in this complex multi-level process of arranging educationally sound and balanced classes.