From Wednesday, Nov. 27 to Friday, Nov. 29, Bus and SeaBus service will not be operating in Metro Vancouver as a result of job action.
Schools in the North Vancouver School District will be in session as per normal schedules and the usual attendance procedures will be in place. We recognize staff and students go to school in a variety of ways and those who rely on transit likely have been planning for potential disruption to their regular commute. We encourage staff and students to consider the potential impacts on their commute to and from school. Also, please be mindful that there may be additional traffic, including around schools. Please drive safely in school zones.
To help our employees, the North Vancouver School District is supporting carpooling in two ways:
- The NVSD Community Hub on the NVSD Staff Portal is a place where NVSD staff can connect to arrange carpooling.
- We have registered the North Vancouver School District for Liftango. Supported by TransLink, this service is free for all NVSD employees and provides real-time carpool solutions for staff within recognized organizations across Metro Vancouver. Please click HERE for further information, or you can download the Liftango app to your smartphone and register right away with your sd44.ca email address (it needs to be your sd44.ca email address).
Staff and students are also being provided support by TransLink in the following manners:
Transit services operating during job action
- SkyTrain (Expo and Millennium Lines)
- Canada Line
- West Coast Express
- West Vancouver Blue Bus (Routes 214, 215, 227 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 258, 259, 262)
- Community Shuttle service on Bowen Island and Langley (Routes 280, 281, 282, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 379, 372)
Increasing SkyTrain capacity
- More frequent off-peak SkyTrain service
- Higher levels of SkyTrain attendants and police at stations to assist with customer flow
Increased pick-up and drop-off zones for SkyTrain
- Designated unused bus stops near SkyTrain stations to facilitate pick-up/drop-off for customers
- GobyRIDE and LiftTango carpooling platforms are prepared for extra demand
- UBC vanpool pilot project
- Designated carpooling parking spots at SkyTrain Park and Rides, UBC and SFU
- Evo and Car2Go are expanding their drop-off and pick-up boundaries
- Expanded bike parking at stations by introducing complementary bike valets at key stations to be operated by BEST (7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Bicycles will be allowed on the SkyTrain all day in the last car of each train
- More Mobi bikes at and near SkyTrain stations
- Mobi bike share with staff on hand to respond to the volume of bikes in high volume locations
- U-Bicycle will provide free rides for 3 days only as well as increase capacity and parking near Canada Line stations, Port Moody and Port Coquitlam areas
Monthly TransLink passholders who do not use any public transit during the three-day strike will automatically have pro-rated Stored Value credit applied to their Compass accounts.
TransLink is asking customers to sign up for Transit Alerts, follow them on Twitter, and check the TransLink website for the most up to date information. Click HERE
to sign-up for alerts and get further information on how to get around during the bus and Seabus shutdown.