October 15, 2021
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Halloween is a time of celebration for many in our community. Each year, we look forward to seeing our students enjoy various Halloween activities.
The North Vancouver School District honours diversity. We want our learning environments to be places where students and staff feel safe, included, respected and valued. We therefore expect students to be thoughtful and respectful at all times, and we ask for your cooperation and assistance to help keep Halloween safe and fun for everyone.
In preparation for Halloween, please be aware of the following:
- If costumes are permitted at school, students should be easily recognizable and/or able to identify themselves to any staff member when asked.
- Costumes that are offensive in any way will not be allowed. Please consider the rights maintained in the Canadian Human Rights Act when selecting costumes (e.g. race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family status, genetic characteristics, disability).
- It is inappropriate to wear costumes in poor taste (e.g., hypersexualized, culturally insensitive).
- School codes of conduct must always be followed, even when in costume. This includes maintaining respectful and appropriate behaviour with others and with school property. Vandalism is never acceptable and is a crime.
- Replica weapons (e.g., guns, knives, etc.) are not allowed.
- The use and possession of firecrackers or fireworks at schools is strictly prohibited at all times. Please visit the City of North Vancouver and District of North Vancouver websites for more information on municipal fireworks regulations.
Thank you for ensuring Halloween continues to be a fun and safe celebration for our entire community.
Superintendent of Schools