A parent/guardian can register their child for kindergarten if, on or before December 31st of that school year, the student will have reached the age of 5 years. For example, for the 2019-2020 school year, the student must reach 5 years of age prior to December 31, 2019. In other words, the child would have been born in 2014.
Kindergarten students must be registered in person by a parent or legal guardian. All registration forms and related documents must be submitted in person to the Central Registration office.
Where: Central Registration Office
Educational Services Centre
2121 Lonsdale Avenue, North Vancouver
Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Mon to Fri)
When: November 5, 2018 (8:30 a.m.) to December 14, 2018 (4:30 p.m.)
What to bring: Please bring original documents. Staff at the Central Registration office will make copies.
1. Child's original birth certificate. Ideally, showing parent names, with certified translation in English if needed.
2. Proof of Status in Canada: (Please bring one of the following for both parents and child/children).
Accepted documents are:
- Canadian citizens: Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian passport or Citizenship Card/Certificate, Certificate of Indian Status Identification Card
- Permanent Residents: Permanent Resident Card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence Document and passport
- Work Permit: Parent's Work Permit and passport, parent's employment letter, accompanying parent & child's Study or Visitor Record Permit and passports
- Study Permit: Parent's Study Permit and passport, parent's university/college admission letter and tuition payment receipt, accompanying parent & child's Study or Visitor Record Permit
- Refugee Claimant Document
- Diplomatic Card and Passport
3. Legal documentation involving guardianship – separation, divorce and guardianship orders, adoption orders, etc.
4. Proof of address in British Columbia.
- Purchase agreement if you just bought a new home with subjects removed, or
- Current hydro, gas, landline telephone or internet/cable bill
- Formal rental or lease agreement and a current hydro, gas, landline telephone or internet/cable statement in the tenant's or landlord/homeowner's name (as per lease/tenancy agreement).
- Please note: If you do not have a formal tenancy agreement (eg. living with family/friend) we require:
- Letter from the tenant/homeowner stating this living arrangement including the names of all your family members (children and parents) living in their residence, and proof of their address (as per accepted documents above)
5. Any applicable medical or diagnostic reports
Registration Forms will be available at all schools, at the Central Registration office and at www.sd44.ca.
Student Registration Form (Fillable Form)
Student Registration Form (Print and Fill)
English Full Day Kindergarten Program
This is a full-day program with limited space at all schools.
French Immersion Full Day Kindergarten Program
This is a District Program with limited space at selected sites. The following schools will be offering French Immersion in 2019-2020:
Registrations received prior to the deadline (on/or before December 14, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.) will be placed according to priority placement criteria - please see below.
Effective date of registration is entered when all required documentation has been received. A registration without all required documents will be pending until all the required documents are submitted.
Registrations received following the deadline (after December 14, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.) will be placed according to space and facilities availability and the date the registration was received.
Priority for placement of students in Full Day English program.
Priority 1 – In Catchment area
Priority 2 – Out of Catchment area with sibling already attending same school/program
Priority 3 – Out of Catchment
Priority 4 – Out of District
Priority for placement of students in Full Day French Immersion (District Program)
Priority 1 – Siblings of French Immersion students (same program, same school)
Priority 2 – Lottery for the remaining students - classes are filled by lottery order respecting the parents 1st and 2nd choices.
Priority 3 – Out of district – placed at the end of the process
Students not placed in the French Immersion program are placed in the kindergarten program at their catchment area school or at a school of their choice (if indicated on their registration form). These students are also placed on a waitlist according to their placement in the lottery, and their first and second choice of schools. The staff at Central Registration will be in contact with the students (families) on the waitlist when space in the program becomes available. Once a spot is offered, the students (families) have one (1) business day to respond or the spot will be offered to the next student on the waitlist.
The kindergarten placement information should be communicated to the parents prior to the School District's Spring Break. Placement for kindergarten registrations received after the priority placement deadline and for out-of-district students may not be confirmed until the end of June, 2019.
For further information, please contact: email@example.com