Kindergarten Registration 2020-2021
A parent/guardian can register their child for kindergarten if, on or before December 31 of that school year the student will have reached the age of 5 years. For example, for the 2020-2021 school year, the student must reach 5 years of age prior to December 31, 2020. In other words the child would have been born in 2015.
Kindergarten students must be registered in person by a parent or legal guardian. All registration forms and related documents must be submitted in person to the Central Registration office.
Central Registration Office
Education Services Centre
2121 Lonsdale Avenue
North Vancouver BC V7M 2K6
Email / Phone / Fax
Central Registration Office Hours
- Office hours during the school year are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, unless otherwise indicated.
- Summer office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (closed for lunch from noon to 1 p.m.).
- The Education Services Centre is closed on B.C. Statutory Holidays. Please see the
District Calendar for more information.
What to bring: Please bring the completed Student Registration Form, ideally signed by both parents, and the following original documents listed below.
Staff at the Central Registration office will make copies.
1. Child’s original birth certificate. Ideally, showing parent names, with certified translation in English if needed.
2. Proof of Status in Canada: (Please bring one of the following for
both parents and child/children). Accepted documents are:
Canadian citizens: Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian passport or Citizenship Card/Certificate, Certificate of Indian Status Identification Card
Permanent Residents: Passport and Permanent Resident Card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence Document
Passport and parent's work permit, parent's employment letter, accompanying parent and child’s study or visitor record permit and passports.
Passport and parent’s study permit, parent’s university/college admission letter and tuition payment receipt, accompanying parent and child’s study or visitor record permit
- Refugee claimant documents
- Diplomatic Card and
3. Legal documentation involving guardianship – separation, divorce and guardianship orders, adoption orders, etc.
4. Proof of address in B.C.
- Current hydro, gas, landline telephone or internet/cable bill.
- Purchase agreement if you just bought a new home with subjects removed.
- Formal rental or lease agreement and a current hydro, gas, landline telephone or internet/cable statement in the tenant’s or landlord/homeowner’s name (as per lease/tenancy agreement).
- Please note: If you do not have a formal tenancy agreement (eg. living with family/friend) we require:
Letter from the tenant/homeowner
stating this living arrangement including the names of all your family
members (children and parents) living in their residence, and proof of their address (as per accepted documents above).
5. Any applicable medical or diagnostic reports.
6. Please submit a copy of your child’s immunization record to Vancouver Coastal Health. It can be submitted by e-mail (photo or scan) to:
email@example.com or fax to: 604-983-6883.
Registration Forms will be available at all schools, the Central Registration office and
here on the SD44 website.
Student Registration Form (Fillable Form)
Student Registration Form (Print and Fill)
English Full Day Kindergarten program
This is a full-day program with limited space at all schools
French Immersion Full Day Kindergarten program
This is a District Program with limited space at selected sites.
The following schools will be offering French Immersion in 2020-2021:
- Dorothy Lynas
- Ross Road
- Sherwood Park
Registrations received prior to the deadline (on/or before December 13, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.) will be placed according to priority placement criteria –
please see below. Effective date of registration is entered when all required documentation has been received. A registration without all required documents will be pending until all the required documents are submitted. Registrations received following the deadline (after December 13, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.) will be placed according to space and facilities availability and the date the registration was received.
Priority for placement of students in Full Day English program.
Priority 1 – In Catchment area
Priority 2 – Out of Catchment area with sibling already attending same school/program
Priority 3 – Out of Catchment
Priority 4 – Out of District
Priority for placement of students in Full Day French Immersion (District Program)
Priority 1 – Siblings of French Immersion students (same program, same school)
Priority 2 – Lottery for the remaining students –
classes are filled by lottery order respecting the parents 1st and 2nd choices.
Priority 3 – Out of district – placed at the end of the process
Students not placed in the French Immersion program are placed in the kindergarten program at their catchment area school or at a school of their choice (if indicated on their registration form). These students are also placed on a wait list according to their placement in the lottery, and their first and second choice of schools. The staff at Central Registration will be in contact with the students (families) on the wait list when space in the program becomes available. Once a spot has been offered, the students (families) have one business day to respond by email before the spot will be offered to the next student on the wait list. The French Immersion wait list remains in effect for the entire kindergarten school year.
The kindergarten placement information, for most registrations received during the priority time period, will be communicated by letter/email to the parents no sooner than the School District’s Spring Break. Placement for kindergarten registrations received after the priority placement deadline and for out-of-district students may not be confirmed until the end of August, 2020.
For further information, please contact: