THE WINDSOR TECHNOLOGY AGREEMENT
Windsor and the North Vancouver School District provide Computer and Internet access to support student learning. Students are expected to act responsibly when using computers and the internet at school. Each student is responsible for their own appropriate behaviour on any computer or network at the school. General school rules for behaviour and communications apply. The use of school technology equipment and the network is a privilege, not a right, and may be revoked if abused. The user is personally responsible for their actions in accessing and utilizing the school's computer resources.
Rules of Computer or Network Use at Windsor
· With regard to privacy, network storage areas may be reviewed by school staff and/or administrators in order to maintain system integrity and ensure that students are using the system responsibly.
· Students are expected to remain within allocated disk space and storage capacities, and delete material which takes up excessive storage space.
· Students must respect the privacy and file storage of other students and staff at Windsor.
· Students should never download or install any commercial software, shareware, or freeware onto network drives or disks, unless they have permission from staff.
· Students must respect and protect intellectual property by fulfilling all legal requirements to purchase, license and register all software, music and other media.
· Abusive or inappropriate language must not be used when communicating electronically and online bullying or harassment of any kind will not be tolerated.
· Students must use common sense and not provide or post information about themselves or other students that may put them at risk.
· Students must not post pictures of others without their consent.
· Students must not access sites which do not comply with the Windsor Code of Conduct. A good rule to follow is to never view, send, or access materials which you would not want your teachers and parents to know you are accessing. Should students encounter such material by accident, they should exit the site and report it to their teacher immediately.
· Computers are there for academic purposes; therefore, games, Youtube, Facebook and other social networking sites are allowed only with the teacher’s explicit permission.
· Food or drink is forbidden in the computer labs, library, or around other computers in the school unless otherwise communicated by the teacher or staff member in that area.
Wireless Access on Personal Electronic Devices
To enhance the education of its students, the North Vancouver School District provides students access to its Guest wireless network and the option of utilizing personally-owned devices. Secure wireless access is now available – please see office staff for instructions on access. When using the District Wireless, students must comply with all District usage policies.
The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure that students and their parents recognize the limitations that the School District imposes on the use of personally-owned devices. These guidelines are supplement to the North Vancouver School District Policy 609: Communication Systems and Policy 302: Student Conduct, the School Code of Conduct and the Student Acceptable Use of Technology Agreement. In addition to the aforementioned general rules of technology, the following guidelines and policies apply to the use of all laptop computers and all other mobile internet devices in association with the school wireless network:
· The North Vancouver School District or Windsor Secondary will not be held responsible in any capacity for physical damage, loss or theft of any personally owned device.
· Student use of personally owned devices in the classroom will be at the discretion of the classroom teacher – students must ask prior to usage. Student use of a personally owned device must support the instructional activities currently occurring in the classroom.
· Students should be aware that the use of mobile devices could cause distraction for others in the classroom, especially in regards to audio. Therefore, audio must be muted.
· Student devices with camera and video capability must not be used to impinge upon the privacy of students and staff without their prior consent.
· The School District and school reserves the right to request an inspection, at any time, of any personally owned devices.
· The School District and school will not be held responsible for any damage that may occur as a result of connecting to the Guest wireless network or any electrical power source.
· The parents and/or guardians of any student bringing personal technology to school are responsible for and will reimburse the School District for any damage that their child may cause through the use of Guest wireless network with his/her personally owned device.
Consequences of the Misuse of Technology
Failure to comply with these guidelines or policies may result in appropriate disciplinary action which may include, but is not limited to, temporary loss of privileges, warnings, and eventually loss of access to school electronic resources and/or the Guest Wireless network.