Windsor Secondary
North Vancouver School District
Frequently Asked Questions

What is Windsor's Academic Record?

Windsor consistently ranks among the top schools in British Columbia.

How does my child get on the Honour Roll?

Students earn Honour Roll status at each reporting term by achieving an average of 85.5% or above based on eight courses taken at Windsor, which is standard throughout the district. In order to be eligible, students in Grade 8 must be taking 8 eligible courses or an equivalent full program. Students with an "I" (Incomplete/In Progress), or an "F" (Fail), or a "Needs Improvement" in work habits in any of the courses do not qualify.  In addition to Honour Roll, Honour Roll with Distinction (grades averaging 89.6% or higher), and Honourable Mention (grades averaging between 80% and 85.4%) are presented.

How are grades achieved?

Grades are based on the percentage accumulated from tests, quizzes, assignments, social responsibility, homework, and other assessments completed throughout the term.

What if my child needs extra help?

Teachers are available to assist students during tutorial periods. Taking advantage of tutorials is a key element to academic success at Windsor. Each teacher's tutorial schedule is posted in his or her classroom.  The Languages and Math departments both hold tutorial labs where teachers and senior students are available to help anyone who is in need.

Where can my son / daughter study in unstructured time?

The following areas are open for study:

  • Library– quiet study
  • Multipurpose Room
  • Some teachers open their classroom at lunch

What happens if my child is ill?

If your child is ill before school, please phone the attendance line 604-903-3707 and report the absence and possible length of absence. If the child will be away for more than 3 days, you can call the Grade 8 counsellor and request that homework be collected.

If your child becomes ill or is injured at school, a parent will be contacted and the child will be sent home.

What services does the Counselling Department provide?

Personal, educational and career counselling referrals to outside community support agencies such as Family Services, Mental Health and Alternatives, Boiling Point, and many more listed in the agenda. The Grade 8 counsellor is Ms. Mancy So.  Students can also choose to speak with any of the other counsellors.

What happens if I need to contact my child in the event of an emergency?

Students are not allowed to use their cell phones during class time.  In the event of an emergency, please call the Main office (604-903-3700) and someone will get your child immediately so you can speak with them.  Make sure to tell the staff member that this is an emergency.

What if my child fails a course?

Students are promoted or failed by course, not by grade. The failed course must be repeated in the next school year or at summer school.

What about Summer School?

The North Vancouver School District provides Full Credit and Review and Completion High School Courses through Summer School, though not all courses are available. A student must have attained a reasonable amount of the learning outcomes and should be recommended by their classroom teacher to enroll in any remedial course. The Full Credit courses are full grade courses; the Review and Completion courses are Pass or Fail only.  Please contact Continuing Education for more information.

What are the consequences of misbehaviour?
Teachers are committed to establishing an atmosphere that encourages appropriate behaviour and the majority of students respond and act responsibly.  However, when misbehaviour is chronic, there are consequences that vary according to the particular situation. Consequences may include:
Detention and/or student-teacher meeting
Meeting with a grade administrator
Class suspension
School suspension
Alternate educational program location / School transfer
Parents will be notified immediately and consulted before action is taken in the latter two cases, which occur rarely, and in flagrant cases of misbehaviour such as the use of drugs, alcohol or violence.
How will I keep an eye on my child in high school?
Parents of children making the transition from elementary to high school will likely begin to notice changes in feelings of independence in their children.  This is natural but should not be mistaken as a reason to become detached from their child’s schooling.  Get to know your child’s timetable and teachers’ names. Windsor teachers are available by phone (604) 903-3700 and individual email – if you have questions feel free to contact them.  A teacher e-mail list is on the Windsor Web.  Talk to your child about his classes, friends and activities. Have a look at his/her Agenda Book – you should find assignments and upcoming tests. If you are concerned about academic progress, please phone your child’s teacher or counsellor.
It helps to know what’s going on behind the scenes as well. Participate in Windsor’s Parent Advisory Council, attend meetings, and visit their website and register to receive email updates to keep you advised of important issues and events at Windsor. Consider volunteering for the School Planning Council and contributing to the development of Windsor’s School Plan.
How can my child decrease the chance of theft of personal belongings?
Your child can avoid being a victim of theft by leaving money and valuables at home, using only the assigned school lock for their locker, keeping their locker combination confidential, and not leaving personal belongings unlocked in the PE change rooms.  iPods and cell phones are two of the most common items reported stolen so be particularly conscious of these items.  Report lost or stolen items to the office in hopes they will be found and turned in, but please understand that the school cannot replace missing items.
Do a lot of kids at Windsor smoke?
Fortunately, the number of students who smoke seems to be quite reduced. In any case, smoking is not permitted on any North Vancouver School District property.
Should I be concerned about drugs and alcohol at Windsor?
As at any place where a large number of people gather, drugs and/or alcohol are a fact of life. We would be naive to believe otherwise. However, we do know the use of drugs and/or alcohol by students at Windsor is minimal. Your best defense is to educate yourself about drug and/or alcohol use and speak candidly with your son or daughter about your concerns. An honest discussion goes a long way. If you have specific concerns about drug or alcohol use within the jurisdiction of the school, contact an administrator.
Windsor is so big: I’m nervous about my child getting involved with the “wrong crowd.”  What can I do?
Teen years are difficult ones for many kids and parents; however, if communication has been good to this point, there is no reason for it to change.  Your children will meet all sorts of new people. Stay involved by asking for surnames, addresses and phone numbers. Ask the ‘new’ friends over and get to know their parents. If there is a social event, make sure there is appropriate supervision. Know what is happening, how your child is getting there and home, and at what time. Emphasize that your main objective is ensuring safety and well-being. Windsor is an average size high school with a large group of caring staff members to help watch over your child’s well being.
What should my child do if they are bullied or witness others being bullied?
Windsor does not tolerate bullying, harassment or intimidation of any kind. Students should report incidents of bullying to a trusted adult at the school and at home. Staff members are trained in detecting bullying and dealing with reports or incidents of bulling.  Anti-bullying programs are delivered to students during the school year.