Please call 604.903.3600 ext 2 to report your child's absence. We do NOT accept attendance reporting via email.
When reporting your child's absence to the Main Office, please provide the following information:
- Last name of the student (please spell clearly)
- First name of the student
- Date of absence
- The time the student will be absent. For example "1st class of the day", "last class of the day", "am only", "all day"
- Reason: Excused, Appointment, Illness, Vacation etc.
NOTE: We do not record "may be in later" "will be in if he/she feels better".
What to do if you receive a phone call: The automated call system is currently unable to report which block your child was marked Absent. It currently will say Block 0. Please call the main office the following day to find out which teacher marked your child absent. If your child says they were in class, they must speak with the teacher who marked them Absent as only that teacher can verify and change the attendance.
In general, parents and students are reminded of the following:
- Parents and/or guardians are expected to contact the school by telephone when their son/daughter will be absent. (Absences received by email will NOT be recorded).
- Students who are absent from class or school without a valid reason will be considered truant and subject to school discipline which may involve detentions, suspensions and/or, in chronic cases referral to the District Counsellor.
- Teachers have the responsibility to report poor attendance and punctuality to parents, either by telephone and/or letter. The Administration, in the absence of exceptional circumstances, will suspend or withdraw a student who refuses to comply
- Parents electing to take students out of school for extended periods for reasons other than illness, such as vacations, do so at the risk of affecting the student's achievement. Teachers are not required to provide tutoring services, materials, or tests for such absences.
NOTE: When a student registers at Handsworth they are in fact making a commitment to abide by the rules and expectations of the school.
Weather Procedures 2015/16
As winter weather approaches, we want to remind parents/guardians, students, and staff of the North Vancouver School District's winter weather procedures and announcements.
All schools in the North Vancouver School District will remain OPEN, if at all possible during winter weather, including snowfalls. Any District-wide closure will be decided by 6:30 a.m. at the latest and will be announced through the media. If weather conditions are questionable, announcements will also be made to say that schools are open.
Information about any District-wide closures will be sent to Metro Vancouver radio and television stations. Please check the following stations for school closure information:
Announcements of school closures or delayed openings will be posted on the homepage of the School District’s website at http://www.sd44.ca. The North Vancouver School District will use the SchoolConnects system to contact parents in the event of an Emergency Release of students during the school day. Individual school closures due to unique circumstances (e.g., power outages) will be announced as early as possible through SchoolConnects.
Student safety is our first priority and a shared responsibility. Parents/guardians are responsible for their child’s safe travel to school. If for any reason, a parent/guardian feels that a child cannot travel safely to school, then they should make other arrangements for their child. Students will not be penalized for absences due to weather conditions. The decision to attend school is the responsibility of each family.
Parents/guardians are encouraged to establish an emergency plan for their children in the event that schools are closed, the school’s start time is delayed, or students are dismissed early. This is a reminder that all students need to dress warmly and appropriately for winter weather conditions.
At this time, we encourage you to review your own preparations for winter weather and ensure that you are familiar with your municipality’s snow and ice response procedures. We request that you strictly adhere to parking restrictions in and around all North Vancouver schools. Your child’s school will contact you about any changes to driving routes (one way) that may be put into effect on streets adjacent to the school.
With your cooperation and adherence to winter weather procedures, we can help achieve safe conditions for students travelling to and from school. Please put safety first.